A computer repair career is an essential line of work in today's technologically advanced society. Users are able to use computers to perform countless tasks and programs. With these amazing machines, people can do great things for themselves and others. But, like any other machine, a computer can break down and require repair.
A Job in Computer Repair
In a computer repair career you may be working as a highly skilled computer technician. You will be using your training and experience to diagnose and repair many different types of computer failures. You may be asked to repair malfunctioning hardware such as disk drives or other internals. Or, you may be using computer software and your skills to clean up a virus infected operating system.
As a computer repair specialist, you may be working out in the field, directly with customers. You may be asked to explain a new OS, repair a broken computer or set up networking. Or you may be working in a shop environment, doing more difficult repairs. Not matter where you work, you will need to be comfortable answering questions and dealing with customers.
An Education in Computer Repair
Many people can teach themselves the basics of computer repair. Formal education will refine and expand those skills. Most computer repair careers require at minimum certification in computer repair and an associates in electronic technology is better. Some employers will be looking for people with bachelors degree in computer science or computer repair.
Skills Needed for Computer Repair:
Degree Programs for a Computer Repair Career:
- Technological knowledge of computer systems.
- Able to work hands-on in many environments.
- Customer service skills.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Flexible hours, including an ability to work nights, weekends or holidays, as needed.
Degree programs will teach you how to install, maintain and repair all kinds of computers and peripherals. You will also learn the fundamentals of circulatory, how to properly diagnose problems and even programming.
Common Computer Repair Certifications:
- CompTIA A+ Certification. This industry standard certification assures employers that you have the foundation knowledge and abilities for a computer repair and support career.
- CCENT certification is given to those with good skills in networking peripherals and devices.
- MCTS certification is for those who are specialized in the common Windows operating system and devices that use it.
Get Your Degree!
Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer